Thursday, December 17, 2015

Christmas 2015

Thursday, December 17, 2015

Here is a list of things that I am looking forward to this holiday season:

1. My friend Frank's Hanukkah party.

I cannot spell Hanukkah, but I am super psyched for this Saturday's brunch party with Latkes! I know Hanukkah is over, but whatevs. It's the thought that counts.

Also, I love a brunch party that starts at 1pm. This means I get to have breakfast at least once, if not twice, before we go to that brunch party. Brunch at my house is at 9am, because we get up at 5:30. Because we procreated.

2. Cracking into a Penny Vincenzi novel.

Every Christmas I read some giant, suitcase-sized smutty extravaganza of a family saga. I've had this one on tap since last Christmas, when I bought it for myself with the delusion of being able to host the holidays, make my daughter's first Christmas magic-magic, and not have a mental breakdown. I was still nursing so there was no wine. It was hard. I'm super looking forward to diving headfirst into some total escapist fiction.

3. Bratwurst and Sauerkraut

I married a Bavarian. My family used to do sausage and perogies on Christmas Eve, and his did  Brats and Sauerkraut. Different, but the same. Sausage. Bringing us all together.

4. Getting over this tooth pain

I had oral surgery last week and it's been killer and I can't wait until I can crack into a spiced rum and coke and kick back without fear of mixing painkillers and booze and ruining Christmas, emergency-room style.

5. Watching holiday movies, eating curry

We like to watch Love, Actually and Die Hard each December, and eat butter chicken. I don't really know why those things are related but they are.

6. Family

Seeing my brother, my parents, my extended family, and watching them love on my kid. Going to be great.

7. Cooking

I love cooking, I love cooking impressive stuff, I can't wait to butter up that bird and roast it. Also, LEFTOVERS!

8. Stockings

I love stockings. It's not so much fun to open my own because I have to stuff it, but I love stuffing the stockings of others.

9. Yule log

We don't have cable, but did you know there's a yule log on Netflix? AWESOME.

10. Silent night

There's something about the soft glow, the warm room, the peace and quiet. There's not a lot of this in my life right now, and I look forward to soaking in the calm when I can.

0 comments: